Shopping Cart
Your Cart is Empty
There was an error with PayPalClick here to try again
CelebrateThank you for your business!You should be receiving an order confirmation from Paypal shortly.Exit Shopping Cart
20130228000507!Logo of the Royal Navy



H.M.S. Success (1901)

27th December 1914

Under the command of Lieutenant William Pennefather, H.M.S. Success was a B-class torpedo boat destroyer; H.M.S. Success struck the Cambo Briggs rocks in conditions of poor visibility while returning from patrol off Heliogoland on 27 December 1914, sustaining severe damage forward. All 67 crew were rescued.


HMS Bulwark

26th November 1914

Under the command of Captain Guy Sclater., HMS Bulwark was a Formidable-class battleship in the 5th Battle Squadron and was destroyed by a large internal explosion which was likely to have been caused by the overheating of cordite charges that had been placed adjacent to a boiler room bulkhead. Captain Guy Lutley Sclater was killed in the explosion along with 735 of his officers and men, there were only 14 survivors.


25th November 1914

Under the command Lt. Cmdr. Head. :(Lt. Cmdr Head replaced Lt. Cdr Jameson who had been washed overboard two days previously) HMS D2 was a D class submarine and encountered a German patrol boat off Borkum Island and believed to have been either rammed or torpedoed and sunk with the loss of all hands 26 officers and men



3rd November 1914

Under the command of Lieutenant Commander Godfrey Herbert. HMS D5 was a D class submarine. Responding to reports of enemy shipping in south of South Cross Buoy off Great Yarmouth in the North Sea the rearmost German cruiser, in retirement threw out a number of mines and D5 was sunk by exploding one of them. The captain, two officers and two men who were on the bridge of the submarine which was running on the surface were saved, a total loss of 20 Officers and men. Captain Godfrey Herbert survived the Great War and served in WW2. He passed on 8th August 1961.

Battle of Coronel

1st November 1914

Took place off the coast of central Chile near the city of Coronel. Rear-Admiral Sir Christopher Cradock was ordered to confront Maximilian von Spee's superior German East Asia Squadron.

H.M.S. Good Hope (1901)

Flag ship of Rear-Admiral Sir Christopher G. F. M. Cradock and Under the command of Captain Philip Francklin H.M.S. Good Hope was a Drake-class armoured cruiser leading the 4th Cruiser Squadron. It engaged the superior flagship of Spee the Scharnhorst and was hit at least thirty five times her forward magazine exploded, severing the bow from the rest of the ship, and she later sank with the loss of all hands a total of 919 officers and enlisted men

good hope

HMS Monmouth (1901)

1st November 1914

Under the command of Captain Frank Brandt, HMS Monmouth was a Monmouth-class armoured cruiser in the 4th Cruiser Squadron. Gneisenau of the German East Asia Squadron opened fire at Monmouth One shell from Gneisenau blew the roof off Monmouth '​s forward turret and started a fire, causing an ammunition explosion that completely blew the turret off the ship severely damaged, Monmouth began to slow and veered out of line. The German light cruiser Nürnberg spoted Monmouth and invited her to surrender when Monmouth turned towards the Nürnberg, she opened fire Monmouth capsized and sank with the loss of all hands a total of 735 officers and enlisted.

HMS Hermes

31 October 1914

Under the command of Captain Charles Lambe, HMS Hermes was a Highflyer-class protected cruiser (The ship was modified in 1913 as the first experimental seaplane carrier making it effectively the first ever aircraft carrier,) and was assigned to Nore Command as an aircraft ferry and depot ship for the Royal Naval Air Service. She was torpedoed by U-27 and sank off Ruylingen Bank in the Straits of Dover with the loss of 44 of her crew. Captain Charles Lambe survived the sinking going on to achieve the rank of Air Vice Marshal. Charles Laverock Lambe died on 25th April 1953.

hms hermes
capt dampier

HMS Audacious 1912

27 October 1914

Under the command of Captain Cecil F. Dampier, HMS Audacious was a King George V-class battleship in the Second Battle Squadron of the Home Fleets had put to sea for firing practice twenty miles N. ¼ E. of Tory Island when Audacious struck a mine, which exploded under the port engine room. Attempts to tow and beach Audacious were made but she capsized and sank. All hands were rescued. The sinking was kept secret until the end of the Great War. Captain Cecil F. Dampier survived the Great War and achieved the rank of Admiral; he passed on 11 April, 1950 at Bishop's Waltham at the age of eighty-two.


18th October 1914

 Under the command of Commander Cholmley, HMS E3 was an E-class submarine when patrolling between the Ems and Borkum in the North Sea was the victim of the first ever successful attack on one submarine by another when U-27 fired two torpedoes which sank the E3 almost instantly on detonation. All 28 hands were lost. 

hms e10
HMS Hawke

HMS Hawke (1891)

15th October 1914

 Under the command of Captain, Hugh P. E. T. Williams, HMS Hawke was an Edgar-class protected cruiser, part of 10th Cruiser Squadron, operating on blockade duties between the Shetland Islands and Norway. HMS Hawke was in the process of regaining her station after having picked up mail from sister ship Endymion. When she was hit by a single torpedo from the German submarine U-9 and quickly capsized. The destroyer Swift was dispatched from Scapa Flow to search for Hawke and found a raft carrying one officer and twenty-one men, while a boat with a further forty-nine survivors was rescued by a Norwegian steamer. Of HMS Hawke compliment, 524 officers and men died, including the ship's captain, Hugh P. E. T. Williams, with only 70 survivors

HMS Cressy (1899)

22nd September 1914


Under the command of Captain Robert Warren Johnson, HMS Cressy was a Cressy-class armoured cruiser and was part of the Seventh Cruiser Squadron (also known as Cruiser Force E) of the Southern Force. while witnessing U-9 broach the surface having torpedoed both HMS Hogue and HMS Aboukir HMS Cressy attempted to ram the diving submarine, having failed to inflict any damage on U 9 HMS Cressy resumed her rescue efforts until she too was torpedoed, Cressy took on a heavy list and then capsized before sinking HMS Cressy lost a total of 560 men. Captain Robert Warren Johnson went down with his ship.  

capt johnson 1

Several Dutch ships began rescuing survivors and were joined by British fishing trawlers. From all three ships 837 men were rescued. 1,397 men and 62 officers — were lost.

Loss of the Three Cruisers CHDT

H.M.S. Hogue (1900)

22nd September 1914

 Under the command of Captain Wilmot Stuart Nicholson, H.M.S. Hogue was a Cressy-class armoured cruiser and was part of the Seventh Cruiser Squadron (also known as Cruiser Force E) of the Southern Force. Hogue approached the sinking H.M.S. Aboukir, Captain Wilmot Nicholson realized that it had been a submarine attack and signalled HMS Cressy to look for a periscope. . Having stopped and lowered all her boats Hogue’s crew threw overboard anything that would float to aid the survivors in the water. While in the process of rescuing men from the sea Hogue was struck by two torpedoes. Almost immediately, U-9 breached the surface and Hogue’s gunners opened fire without effect before the submarine could submerge again. The cruiser capsized about ten minutes after being torpedoed. Hogue lost a total of 48 men. Captain Wilmot Stuart Nicholson survived the sinking and the Great War and achieved the rank of Admiral on the Retired List on 1 April, 1930 before passing in 1947.

H.M.S. Aboukir (1900)

22nd September 1914

 Under the command of Captain John Edmund Drummond, H.M.S. Aboukir was a Cressy-class armoured cruiser and was part of the Seventh Cruiser Squadron (also known as Cruiser Force E) of the Southern Force. On the morning of 22nd September, Aboukir and her sisters, Cressy and Hogue, were on patrol When HMS Aboukir was torpedoed on the starboard side by The German U-boat U-9. Commanded by Kapitänleutnant Otto Weddigen. Aboukir quickly began listing; by the time that Drummond ordered "abandon ship" only one boat was available forcing the majority of the surviving crew into the sea. Aboukir lost a total of 527 men. Captain John Edmund Drummond survived the sinking and the Great War and achieved the rank of Vice-Admiral before passing in 1926.

royal marines

HMS Pegasus (1897)

20th September 1914

Under the command of Commander Ingles, HMS Pegasus a Pelorus-class protected cruiser was, repairing problems with her machinery in Zanzibar harbour. At 5:25 am the armed tug Helmuth, a captured German vessel that was guarding the entrance to the harbour, challenged a ship that was heading for an entrance forbidden to merchant ships. The ship, which was Königsberg, raised the German ensign and increased speed. Out gunned and outranged Pegasus was disabled within eight minutes, Pegasus became holed near her waterline and began taking on water. All hope of defeating the Germans having gone,Commander Ingles struck his colours and gave the order to abandon ship. The ship sank later that day, with 38 lives lost and 55 wounded. Soon after the short battle at Zanzibar, a story reached the press that the naval ensign for Pegasus had been shot away during the firing but was then held aloft by Royal Marines who heroically ran out into the rain of shell fire to keep their flag flying.


14th September, 1914

Under the command of Lieutenant Commander Thomas Besant, AE1 was an E-class submarine of the Royal Australian Navy and was lost at sea near East New Britain, Papua New Guinea. It is probable that she was wrecked on a reef or other submerged object. As well as Lieutenant Commander Besant, 2 other officers and 32 sailors were lost in this disaster. The disappearance was Australia's first major loss of the Great War.

hms panther

HMS Pathfinder

5th September, 1914

 Under the command of Francis Martin Leake, HMS Pathfinder a scout cruiser was torpedoed by U 21 ten miles south-east of May Island. The detonation set off cordite bags in the forward magazine which caused a second, more massive explosion within the fore section of the ship, destroying everything forward of the bridge. Broken in two, the "Pathfinder" instantly began sinking, dragging most of her crew down with her 250 died, Capt. Francis Martin Leake was one of just eighteen known to have survived the sinking. Capt. Francis Martin Leake survived the Great War and was to achieve the rank of Vice-Admiral He died at Marshalls, Ware, Hertfordshire, on 21 January, 1928, after a three year battle with "dementia paralytica".His younger brother was Lieutenant Arthur Martin Leake the first double recipient of the Victoria Cross.

HMS Speedy

3rd September 1914

Under the command of Lieutenant Commander Edward Miller Rutherfoord, an Alarm-class torpedo gunboat, converted minesweeper while rescuing survivors from the stricken HMS Lindsell was struck by a mine, flooded and sank within an hour, 30 miles off the Humber. 1 rating lost.


HMS Amphion (1911)

6th August 1914

Under the command of Capt. Cecil Henry Fox, HMS Amphion engaged in the first military action of the Great War when on the 5th August 1914 the 3rd Destroyer Flotilla Force sighted the Königin Luise a former Hamburg-Netherlands holiday ferry that had been converted to an auxiliary minelayer by the Germans, disguised in the black, buff, and yellow colours of the steamers of the Great Eastern Railway, Königin Luise on sighting the four British ships attempted to flee from the approaching fleet Amphion, Lark, Lance and Landrail had with in an hour, chased down and sunk, the Königin Luise and rescued 46 survivors from her crew of 100. At06:30, on the 6th August on the return course to Harwich HMS Amphion struck a mine that had been previously laid by the Königin Luise. 150 British sailors were killed in the sinking, as well as 18 Germans from the crew rescued from Königin Luise.Capt. Cecil Henry Fox survived the Great War and was Promoted Rear Admiral on the 2nd May 1922. He passed in 1963.

Capt. Cecil Henry Fox HMS Amphion